What Is A Hot Oil Treatment And Is It Necessary?
A hot oil treatment is pretty much mixing a number of oils. You simply apply the mixture as a mask to your hair, cover your hair with a plastic cap to restore it’s moisture, heal the scalp and help with growing your hair.
Have you struggled to keep your natural hair long, shiny and healthy? then you might want to add a hot oil treatment to your current regimen. It is absolutely great to add this treatment to your regimen all year long and will sure see the difference in the overall health of your hair. During winter months when the air is dry, cold and windy and also during summer months when the hot summer heat will help absorb the oils.
There are many factors that cause our hair to lose its moisture and leaving our hair looking and feeling dry. Environmental factors such as heat, cold and wind.
Also, daily styling routines such as blow-drying, flat ironing, using hot curlers and hair products with ingredients that are too drying can cause our hair to feel brittle and then break.
A few companies have pre-made hot oil treatments in small packs that you can buy and use at home. But you can also make your own with a few oils like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and many other oils.
It’s recommended to do a hot oil treatment before you shampoo so that the oils will protect your hair from harsh detergents that are in the shampoo and keep the moisture levels in. This is especially true if you are using shampoos with sulfates. Is the hot oil treatment the same as a pre poo? YES
What You Need For a Hot Oil Treatment
- A towel to protect your clothing from getting oily.
- Warm oil in a applicator bottle (You can choose any of these oils – Extra virgin Olive oil/jojoba oil/coconut oil/castor oil/Avocado oil) OR a DIY hair growth oil like this one.
- Clips to section off hair
- Spray bottle with water
- Plastic Cap
- Steamer, Hooded Dryer, Towel OR Bonnet
How To Do a Hot Oil Treatment
✔Cover your shoulders with a towel to protect your clothing from oil stains.
✔Section the hair in manageable sections and clip each section of the hair. The reason you do this is because its easier to work in sections so that you are sure all hair is saturated with the oil.
✔Lightly saturate each section with water, this will help to absorb the oil better
✔Generously massage the oil to each section of hair and scalp. Add a little more oil to your ends. You can do a bantu knot on each section when you are done but its not required.
✔Wear the plastic cap OR the methods below and wait for about 30 minutes.
✔Alternative methods on how to steam,
- With no cap and go in a steamer
- With a cap, then a towel wrapped around your head.
- With a cap and under a hooded drier / heating bonnet.
✔ Shampoo or Co wash your hair and you are done.
Benefits of a Hot Oil Treatment
- Adds body and shine.
- Use this DIY hair growth oil to help your hair to grow
- Prevents breakage and help to reduce frizz, soften and nourish your hair strands.
- Prevents dryness caused by harsh weather conditions
- Help to maintain the moisture balance in your hair. Hair that is moisture balanced has good elasticity. This helps to make it long and luscious hair with lots of body.
- Heals the scalp and prevent dandruff and other scalp infections.
Check Out Our Other Popular Post
- The Ultimate DIY Hair Growth Oil For Your Natural Hair
- Hair Oils to Use On Natural Hair And Their Benefits
- How to Build A Natural Hair Regimen
- Natural Hair Treatments / Remedies
- Homemade Deep Conditioner Recipes
- Dry Natural Hair (REMEDIES)
- Easy Hair Growth Tips
- Deep Conditioning Natural Hair