Everyone will agree, detangling natural hair can be a tedious and the most frustrating task on wash days. Thank God, we can all learn these very simple and easy steps in detangling natural hair and to make the job easier on a wash day.
Steps In Detangling Natural Hair
1. SECTION HAIR
A very important step and not to be skipped is to section your hair into manageable sections. Part your hair in sections 2, 3 , 4 or even more especially if your hair is short or too tangled. Use a tie or clips to keep those sections separated.
2. REMOVE ANY SHEDS OF HAIR
With the sections you just sectioned earlier, take each section with your fingers and start removing any shedding that you might have on your dry hair. Don’t rush with it and remember to be very gentle. If you have matted and very dry hair skip this step and go forward with the next step which is wet your hair and then you can start finger detangling the hair.
3. WET YOUR HAIR
It’s important to wet your hair first before detangling to prevent hair from breaking. Never detangle dry hair. Wet your hair and try to run your fingers through it. If your fingers gets stuck dont force it to pass through because you might damage and break your hair.
4. APPLY OILS AND CONDITIONERS
After you have washed your hair with a sulphate free moisturizing shampoo. Apply oils and a moisturizing conditioner.
Apply a good amount of oils and a moisturizing conditioner. Let the mixture sit in your hair for a couple of minutes, then start detangling section by section using a wide tooth comb. Start with the ends of your hair and proceed towards the roots of your hair.
Then you can follow with a deep conditioning treatment, continue to detangle further at this point if you feel your hair needs more detangling.
You can also detangle natural hair with leave-ins and conditioners with a lot of slip like Herbal Essence’s Totally Twisted.
Great Tools For Detangling Natural Hair:
- Wide tooth Comb
- Denman Brush
- Tangle teezer
Things To Remember When Detangling:
- Remove all the shedded hair.
- Always detangle in sections.
- Use a wide tooth comb / denman brush to detangle.
- Finger detangling under running water in sections while you shampoo your hair, always makes detangling sessions easier.
- Detangle starting with the ends your hair to the roots.
- After you apply a moisturizing conditioner, cover your hair with a plastic cap for 2-5 minutes. That is the key to easy detangling. Your hair will be so soft and so easy to detangle.
- Also when you are washing off your deep conditioner, you can detangle under running water with a widetooth comb.
- Hold your hair while you detangle so that it doesn’t rip at the roots.
- DO NOT detangle your hair when its dry.
- DO NOT detangle with a fine tooth comb.
Check Out Our Other Popular Post
- Reasons and Remedies For Thinning Edges
- Deep Conditioning Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Treatments/Remedies
- Pre Poo Regimen
- Hair Tools For Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Products
- Inexpensive Products For Natural Hair