What Is Deep Conditioning?
Deep Conditioning is a treatment done to add moisture back into the hair that is lost due to the harsh weather conditions (dry air and wind) and other daily factors.
It’s recommended to do a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week to keep your hair in tip top shape. It is the most important step in your weekly regimen, it will help retain moisture in your hair and keep knots and tangles away.
Weekly trips to the beauty salon for a deep conditioning treatment can be quite costly. Doing it at home will save you lots of money.
How To Deep Condition Natural Hair
- Pre-poo your hair with oils such as olive oil or coconut oil. just enough to coat all of your hair. Pre poo at least 30 minutes prior to shampooing. If you have a lot of time in your hands you can do an overnight prepoo. You can use any oils that you have in hand.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with a moisturizing shampoo or Co wash.
- Section hair into sections and generously apply your favorite deep conditioner until your hair is fully coated.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap or save some money and use your grocery plastic bags and throw them away after each use.
- Deep condition with heat for at least 30 minutes. It’s the most effective way to deep condition. You can either sit under a hooded dryer OR wear a heating cap OR a steamer OR you can simply leave the deep conditioner in your hair the whole day without heat.
- After 30 minutes you can continue to detangle your hair section by section with a wide tooth comb. A great tip for detangling natural hair is to do it under running water with conditioner in it. It works wonders.
- Rinse hair thoroughly and style as usual.
Things to add to your deep conditioner for extra moisture, softness and shine.
- Oils such as olive oil, peppermint oil, castor oil
Check Out Our Other Popular Posts
- Homemade Deep Conditioners
- Natural Hair Treatments/Remedies
- Hair Growth Tips/Natural Hair
- PH BALANCE and How It Relates To Your Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Products
- Inexpensive Products For Natural Hair
- How To Detangle Natural Hair
- How To Do A Hot Oil Treatment