If you are in a challenge towards healthy long natural hair, then you might want to add hot oil treatment to your current regimen. Its absolutely great for the winter months when dry,cold and windy weather play havoc on our beautiful tresses.
A hot oil treatment is a treatment done to hair to restore moisture back into the hair. It consists of oils that are applied to hair.
There are many causes that cause our hair to lose its moisture. Environmental factors such as heat, cold and wind. Also daily styling for example blowdrying, flat ironing, using curlers and hair products with ingredients that are too drying and cause our hair to feel brittle then break.
Most people do a hot oil treatment every week to help revive hair from all the damage that has been done during the week.
A few companys have pre made hot oil treatments in small packs that you can buy and use at home but you can also make your own with a few oils like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil etc.
It is recommended to do a hot oil treatment before you shampoo so that the oils will protect your hair from harsh detergents in the shampoo and keep the moisture levels in, especially if you are using shampoos with sulfates. The hot oil treatment act as a pre poo.
What You Need For a Hot Oil Treatment
- Warm Oil in a applicator bottle( You can choose either of these oils Extra virgin Olive oil/jojoba oil/coconut oil/castor oil/Avocado oil)
- Warm water in a spray bottle.
- Clips to section off hair
- Plastic Cap
- Steamer OR Hooded Dryer OR Towel OR Bonnet
How To Do a Hot Oil Treatment
STEP 1: Cover your shoulders with a towel to protect your clothing.
STEP 2: Section and clip the hair.
STEP 3: Lightly Saturate each section with warm water
STEP 4: Generously massage the oil to each section of hair and scalp. A little more oil to your ends. You can do a bantu knot on each section when you are done but its not required.
STEP 5: Wear the plastic cap and choose any of the methods below and wait for about 30 minutes.
STEP 6: Shampoo or Co wash your hair and you are done.
There are different methods you can do your hot oil treatments which include the following:
- With no cap and go in a steamer
- With a cap then a towel wrapped around your head.
- With a cap and under a hooded drier / heating bonnet.
Benefits of a Hot Oil Treatment
- It adds body and shine.
- It prevents breakage and help to reduce frizz, soften and nourish your hair strands,
- Prevents dryness that happen on your hair shaft, help to maintain the moisture balance in your hair, hair that is moisture balanced has good elasticity and thus long and luscious hair with lots of body
What’s Your Hot Oil Treatment Regimen??
Other Helpful Posts:
- Hair Oils to Use On Natural Hair And Their Benefits
- How to Build A Natural Hair Regimen
- Natural Hair Treatments / Remedies
- Homemade Deep Conditioner Recipes
- Dry Natural Hair (REMEDIES)
- Easy Hair Growth Tips
- Deep Conditioning Natural Hair