If keeping your natural hair long and healthy is a struggle, then you might want to add a hot oil treatment to your current regimen. Its absolutely great for the winter months when dry, cold and windy weather play havoc on our beautiful tresses.
What Is A Hot Oil Treatment
A hot oil treatment is a treatment done to hair to restore it’s moisture. It consists of oils that are applied to the hair.
There are many things that cause our hair to lose its moisture. Environmental factors such as heat, cold and wind. Also, daily styling rituals such as blow-drying, flat ironing, using hot curlers and hair products with ingredients that are too drying and cause our hair to feel brittle and then break.
A few companies have pre-made hot oil treatments in small packs that you can buy and use at home. But you can also make your own with a few oils like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil etc.
It’s recommended to do a hot oil treatment before you shampoo so that the oils will protect your hair from harsh detergents in the shampoo and keep the moisture levels in. This is especially true if you are using shampoos with sulfates. The hot oil treatment is the same as a pre poo.
What You Need For a Hot Oil Treatment
- Warm oil in a applicator bottle (You can choose any of these oils – Extra virgin Olive oil/jojoba oil/coconut oil/castor oil/Avocado oil)
- Clips to section off hair
- Spray bottle with water
- Plastic Cap
- Steamer, Hooded Dryer, Towel OR Bonnet
How To Do a Hot Oil Treatment
STEP 1: Cover your shoulders with a towel to protect your clothing.
STEP 2: Section and clip the hair.
STEP 3: Lightly saturate each section with water
STEP 4: Generously massage the oil to each section of hair and scalp. Add a little more oil to your ends. You can do a bantu knot on each section when you are done but its not required.
STEP 5: Wear the plastic cap and choose any of the methods below and wait for about 30 minutes.
STEP 6: Shampoo or Co wash your hair and you are done.
There are different methods in which you can do your hot oil treatments, which include the following:
- With no cap and go in a steamer
- With a cap, then a towel wrapped around your head.
- With a cap and under a hooded drier / heating bonnet.
Benefits of a Hot Oil Treatment
- It adds body and shine.
- It prevents breakage and helps to reduce frizz, soften and nourish your hair strands.
- Prevents dryness that happens on your hair shaft, helps to maintain the moisture balance in your hair. Hair that is moisture balanced has good elasticity. This helps to make it long and luscious hair with lots of body.
What’s Your Favorite Hot Oil Treatment Regimen? Let me know in the comments below.
Make sure you never miss any natural hair tips and product discounts. Enter your email below.
Other Helpful Posts: